quarta-feira, 23 de janeiro de 2013

6. "The true temples of the earth are hospitals"


During the three months I spent doing chemotherapy, the biggest fear I had was having to do another surgery at the end of treatment if the chemo does not end this account with abdominal tumors. This fear came from a stupid doctor who attended me and said I had 40% chance of getting impotent with this surgery if it were necessary. Several times I dreamed, or rather, I had nightmares about this doctor. Every time I had sex I thought: "Is this one of the last times I'll have sex in my life?". It was hard to take pleasure in this situation. You can imagine how important sex life for a 21 year old. Inside I was quite right and decided that if indeed I were sexually impotent, I do not want to live anymore. I was so shaken by this statement of the doctor who did not want to talk about it with anyone, just thinking I shuddered with fear. A big mistake of mine was not had asked other doctors about this risk, but my fear was so that I felt much better not to comment. There were 3 months of anticipation. It was then that the end of chemo I did the test to see if I need surgery or not. Done the exam, my doctor gives me the news that surgery was inevitable. I went out of the air and started to sweat. He heard the doctor talking to me and my mother talking to the doctor. I could not focus on anything. The doctor called the nurse and put me on a stretcher, they measured my blood pressure and heart rate. The doctor wanted to admit me to take tranquilizers. Gradually I was coming back. I went to the bathroom and let the water drain, wet the neck and wrists. I asked my mother and the doctor stop talking, I needed a bit of silence. They stopped for 10 seconds and then continued, a more desperate than the other. I came back to earth. The scene was heartbreaking. Suspicions were that the chemo had not worked, and I would have to do surgery and more quimios, this time even stronger than the first. My doctor, seeing my desperation by the possibility of being powerless, said to go to Sao Paulo, consult with the pope of uro-oncology, Dr. Miguel Srougi, the Syrian-Lebanese Hospital. He is a doctor of stars, politicians and millionaires. I thought I knew what it was luxury to get into this guy's office. Price of consultation: 700 reais. Five secretaries, a doctor. Two-hour delay in the query. The doctor said he was given a very serious case at hand, it would take a while. We expect a lot and I was angry. I thought to myself: "700 real and this guy still makes you wait 2 hours? I'll tell him that this is not done no, that's a lack of respect. I'm paying to him, he will listen.". Finally he arrives. Examines me and tells me to go to his office. With patience, clarity and education to envy it explains my whole case and I recommend surgery. He ends the exposure of it and I say, "Okay doctor, is ... I was wondering what are the chances of me getting impotent with this surgery?". With a brilliant medical objectivity he answered me, and I'll never forget the words he said: "Sexually impotent? The chances of you getting impotent with this surgery are the same that if I make a cut in your throat and you become impotent. ". I explained to him what that doctor had told me. He gave no word on the blunder that other, just assured me that there was no chance of this possibility. It was all he needed to hear at that moment. A world-sized weight was removed from my back. Furthermore, he asked me if I had health insurance. I said I had, but that was in need, would not cover the surgery. Then he said if I wanted to do the surgery with him, I just need to pay the hospital expenses. That part of it was not necessary. As we left, the secretary said that the consultation was complimentary. The generosity of Dr. Srougi rid my parents a great debt. The total value of the entire medical team that performed the surgery on me was around 20 thousand dollars. And that part we were not charged. What is not paid with money, you pay with your soul. And I'll pay searching one day have half the bounty on this guy. After a few months of surgery, sent a letter (email) to Dr. Miguel.


"The true churches on earth are hospitals. Here you know the suffering, the value of human life. The proud and the arrogant are low, rich and poor are equal, the bad and the nasty authoritarians become complacent: they are naked, take the mask; here is that you know what it is to live, which rescues for life, not in a church any, the guy goes in there, pray ten minutes and leaves. He can even heal, heal your soul.
But here we heal the soul and the body. This is the true temple, where gold is life. You understand the impact that social inequality has on the human being, poverty, lack of education causes disease. "
                                                                                                   Miguel Srougi



Dr. Miguel Srougi,
Hello Doctor! Hopefully scouring his memory can remember me! I am Leonardo, and was operated by you and your team on the 19th of April this year. The surgery was a retroperitoneal lymphadenectomy. I'm from Poços de Caldas - MG, and study at USP in Ribeirão Preto. On the day of surgery, a tremendous coincidence occurred. The surgery was performed prior to my in Gervázio (swollen prostate). He is a longtime friend of my parents, but lost touch for about 20 years, when he moved to Recife. As fate that we met him that day and in that situation. There, he invited me to spend a few days at his beach house in Porto de Galinhas. I accepted and was now July, I spent about 10 days there on holiday. I'm healed, happy and healthy. The recovery from surgery was quite difficult, but the bad memories are slowly getting back and envision increasing the life ahead of me.
I am very grateful to you and your team, I quickly responded, respect, effort and dedication to everything that happen in the best way. I spent the whole treatment of chemotherapy hoping I did not need this surgery because a poorly qualified doctor told me I had 40 percent chance of getting sexually impotent with surgery. When you told me that was impossible, my relief was immense. Their generosity was very important to me and my family, after all, we really had no way to pay. All people talk about you and you know somehow speak well of you. You do your work with love, dedication, security and clarity. The cancer leaves many sequels, and do not say only physical, but in the soul. I have only one testicle and I ended up infertile. However, today my life is happier and deep, because I won a darkness that only those who pass know what it is. You have been an ally in this journey and made my walk lighter. Thank you doctor. As you said, the scar on my belly will always remember me of you, and in my heart and the brand of your attitude, generosity and attention made me a better human being. I cheer a lot for your work to be multiplied in this world by people who have learned from you how to care for a patient. Below is a photo that I'm in Porto de Galinhas, in the house of Gervázio. Now no more bald, how you met me. I am happy and joyful, and routine exams go well. Big hug!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário